Civil FAQ

 Which areas are served by the Cache County Sheriff’s Office?


The following communities are served by the Cache County Sheriff’s Office. We are unable to serve out of Cache County or the State of Utah.


  • Amalga
  • Avon
  • Benson
  • Cache County Unincorporated
  • Cache Junction
  • Clarkston
  • College Ward
  • Cornish
  • Cove
  • Hyde Park
  • Hyrum
  • Lewiston
  • Logan
  • Mendon
  • Millville
  • Mt. Sterling
  • Newton
  • Nibley
  • North Logan
  • Paradise
  • Petersboro
  • Providence
  • Richmond
  • River Heights
  • Smithfield
  • Trenton
  • Wellsville
  • Young Ward


 What papers are served by the Sheriff’s Office?


The Sheriff’s Office can serve any type of legal paperwork. Some papers must be served by the Sheriff’s Office. Some of the more common types include:


  • Civil Bench Warrant
  • Garnishment
  • Letter
  • Notice
  • Orders to Show Cause
  • Petition
  • Property Execution
  • Protective Order
  • Order of Restitution
  • Small Claim Order
  • Stalking Injunction
  • Summons
  • Summons and Complaint
  • Subpoena
  • Writ of Restitution


 If you have questions concerning any of these papers or which paper to use for your situation, you will need to contact an attorney.


 What is the cost of paper service?


Other than Protective Orders and Stalking Injunctions, the Sheriff’s Office does charge to serve papers. A flat fee is charged for the paper service plus an amount for mileage. If extra attempts are needed, up to two additional mileage charges may be charged.


Example 1: If a small claims paper is to be served in Logan and the Deputy discovers during that service attempt that the person has moved to North Logan and the Deputy is able to serve it in North Logan on the first attempt, then the following charges would apply:


Attempted service Logan mileage charge $2.50

Paper service $20.00

Mileage Charge North Logan $7.50


Example 2: If a Summons and Complaint is to be served in Cornish and we call the person and they want to meet us at the Sheriff’s Office and we serve them there, then the following charges would apply:


Paper service $20.00

Mileage Charge to Logan $2.50


To look at the fee schedule for each city click here: Paper Fee Schedule


Note: Cache County Sheriff's Office does not accept personal checks. For payment we do accept cash and credit/debit card (Visa, Mastercard and Discover). When using a credit/debit card, an additional fee for processing the charge will apply. The credit/debit card fee is $1.50 for charges up to $60 and 2.5% for charges over $60.


 How do I submit a paper to the Sheriff’s Office?


 Paperwork is available at the courts. We do not have the forms at the Sheriff’s Office.


You may submit papers to the Sheriff’s Office by following the steps below:


  • Processing the paperwork by the courts. This may include having a Judges signature, court dates, or any additional paperwork from the court.
  • Delivering the paperwork to the Civil Unit located on the second floor of the Cache County Sheriff’s Office or mailing the paperwork to the Cache County Sheriff’s Office. Please mark the envelope Attention Civil.
  • Submitting the correct fee.
  • Supplying contact information for respondent.


 Minimum Contact Information Includes:


  • Name
  • Birth date
  • Address
  • Service address


Other helpful information includes:


  • Social Security Number
  • Place of employment
  • Hours of employment
  • Phone numbers
  • Spouses name
  • Supply contact information for plaintiff including


 How long does it take to serve a paper?


The average paper service for the Cache County Sheriff’s Office is under 2 days. This being said, some papers are served faster and some can take longer. The better and more information provided will help reduce the time to find and serve the person. This will help keep the cost to a minimum.


You will also want to make sure that you leave time for finding the person, serving the paper, the return of service, and the amount of time that the statutes state it must be served prior to the court date. This information may be found by contacting the court or an attorney. 


 How will I know when the paper has been served?


After the paper is served, a return of service will be mailed to you. This return of service will give you information on when and where the defendant/respondent was served. If you need a return of service sent to the court, please make sure that we have the information to complete this.